Tiverton Neighbourhood Plan – Latest
The Draft Plan for Informal Public Consultation is now available to download.
There are two supporting documents, both produced by consultants AECOM, with the benefit of Government grants:
We need your feedback. Please go to the Contact Us section to let us have your comments.
You can also participate in an online survey here …
The Tiverton Neighbourhood Plan is for the benefit of the community of Tiverton. It is your plan. Please take a look.
What is the Tiverton Neighbourhood Plan?
Tiverton Neighbourhood Plan sets out to ensure that Tiverton is a sustainable community and that all future developments meet government legislation regarding emissions, passivity and carbon neutrality. The final iteration of the plan will be subjected to scrutiny by One Planet to test its sustainability.
To ensure that the plan has its proper roots in local history and economy The Plan will review the relevant history and seek to analyse economic, social and population needs. It will identify opportunities and challenges for the Tiverton community and express these through a Vision for Tiverton.
The Neighbourhood Plan will pay due regard to the size of the town and proportionate development and consider housing need and affordable and social housing. It seeks to ensure that the character of any new development will reflect Tiverton’s architectural heritage while being energy efficient and economical to live in.
The Plan will protect Tiverton’s conservation area, listed building and structures of historical interest. It will also protect valued green spaces, significant views, sporting facilities, allotments and growing areas and cultural sites.
The Plan will seek to provide safe and sustainable routes around the parish for cyclists and pedestrians and ensure easy access. This will include access to the Canal Basin, Knightshayes Court and other historic sites in the town. It will seek to provide opportunities for the continued occupation of commercial premises in the town centre, maintaining Tiverton as a retail centre whole protecting and enhancing the public realm.
The Plan will recommend non-policy actions, like reducing speed limits in the town centre, as items are suggested by local people.
What we are working on:
- In the long term how do we maintain a good retail town centre?
- How will we be travelling in twenty years’ time – will we need more car parks or electric charging stations?
- What can we plan for to make Tiverton a town people want to visit?
- What sort of housing, where and how much will we need in twenty years’ time?
- How best can we ensure they are good to live in, easily accessible and carbon neutral?
- How do we link our heritage and tourism for the benefit of the town?
- How much land should be reserved for commercial and industrial development to grow Tiverton’s prosperity?
- How much open space should we plan for? And how much allotment space will we need with gardens decreasing in size?
During 2020 these and many other questions will be discussed and recommendations made.
These will be turned into a set of policies and submitted to Mid Devon District Council and then to the government department.
After further consultation these will be refined and put to a public vote in the town – now likely in September 2021.
Meanwhile the Draft Plan for Informal Public Consultation is now available in the Documents section.
The key objectives of the Focus Groups are:
- Highways and Transportation
- Retail and Business
- Recreation and Open Spaces
Tiverton Neighbourhood Plan Documents
Go to DOCUMENTS to see and download the latest Draft Plan